Early stage Hodgkin lymphoma risk stratification
Risk stratification of stage I and II Hodgkin lymphoma
|Trial or recommendation||Risk factors for early stage Hodgkin lymphoma|
|European Organization for the Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC), H10 study protocol1||
|European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO), 2007 recommendations2||
|German Hodgkin lymphoma Study Group (GHSG), HD16 protocol3||
|National Cancer Institute of Canada (NCIC) and Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG), HD6 trial4||
|National Cancer Research Institute (UK) (NCRI), RAPID trial5||
Early stage Hodgkin lymphoma (Ann Arbor stage I or II) can be stratified into favorable and unfavorable categories. Various risk stratifications have been used in cooperative group studies, to identify groups suitable for less intensive treatment. The table above summarises some of the systems used in recent clinical trials of early-stage Hodgkin lymphoma. Clinicians should follow the relevant trial protocol, or follow local treatment guidelines.
CT computed tomography
CXR chest X-ray
ESR erythrocytes sedimentation rate
- André MPE, Reman O, Federico M, Girinski T, Brice P, Brusamolino E et al. Interim Analysis of the Randomized EORTC/LYSA/FIL Intergroup H10 Trial On Early PET-Scan Driven Treatment Adaptation in Stage I/II Hodgkin Lymphoma. American Society of Hematology 2012 Annual Meeting. Abstract 549.
- ESMO Guidelines Working Group, Jost L. Hodgkin’s disease: ESMO clinical recommendations for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up. Ann Oncol. 2008; 19: 1027-9.
- University of Cologne. HD16 for Early Stage Hodgkin Lymphoma. In: ClinicalTrials.gov [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US). 2000- [cited 2013 Oct 5]. Available from: http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT00736320 NLM Identifier: NCT00736320.
- Meyer RM, Gospodarowicz MK, Connors JM, Pearcey RG, Wells WA, Winter JN et al. ABVD alone versus radiation-based therapy in limited-stage Hodgkin’s lymphoma. N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 399-408.
- Radford J, Barrington S, Counsell N, Pettengell R, Johnson P, Wimperis J et al. Involved Field Radiotherapy Versus No Further Treatment in Patients with Clinical Stages IA and IIA Hodgkin Lymphoma and a ‘Negative’ PET Scan After 3 Cycles ABVD. Results of the UK NCRI RAPID Trial. American Society of Hematology 2012 Annual Meeting. Abstract 547.